Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Dr. Annie

Our hometown newspaper did a profile Sunday of Dr. Annie Louise Wilkerson. She's the aunt of a friend of mine and a beloved figure around here. Dr. Annie, as her patients called her, was one of the first female obstetrician/gynecologists in the Southeast and delivered thousands of babies before she retired.

Now, at 90 years old, she is battling cancer, yet continues to be an inspiration to her family and friends. In the newspaper article, she recalls the following:

My first delivery in practice was when I was a student. That was in a home. I stayed nearly 48 hours, but I was able to call back and forth to the hospital and report on the situation. Oh yes, I was anxious. That's only perfectly natural. But I had the Man right there on my shoulder. Always. I was never alone.

I was never alone. We would all do well to take Dr. Annie's words to heart. What are you facing that makes you anxious? SATs? Physics tests? Relationship issues? Interviews? College or job applications? Let's remember "the Man" - God - is always with you. Be encouraged.

"Be strong and of good courage, be not frightened, neither be dismayed; for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:8-9