Monday, February 07, 2005

Some Good News

Sometimes I like to see what other bloggers are posting. I found an interesting post today on an evangelical blog that gives the “gospel” in 10 steps. The blogger’s wife had developed these points as a simple way to explain the good news to young children. Keep in mind the target audience. Many of the comments he received seemed to forget that this is a simplification for children.

I’ll leave it to true theologians to debate steps #9 and #10. But I think the earlier points may help clarify how Jesus is our “ransom.” Remember recently when we discussed
love and sacrifice, and I said that the price Jesus paid was “essentially a ransom”? Warnock’s outline sets forth the separation between a holy God and us – a separation caused by sin that holds men and women captive.

The Bible tells us the “wages of sin are death.” In His love, God sent Jesus to set us free. He, holy and perfect, gave His life on the Cross as a ransom, a payment to set us free. It’s as if a judge sentenced you and me to death, but an innocent man (Jesus) steps forward and says, “I’ll take the sentence on myself.” And then we are allowed to live.

Will we live perfectly? No. Grasping this concept is just the beginning of a new relationship, an eternal process of living for God and with God in your life. Jesus said:

“I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.” John 5:24