Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Why Did You Get Up This Morning?

Dr. Chris Leland of the Focus on the Family Institute says one of the most important questions we can ask is “Why did you get up this morning?” Have you ever thought about that? Most people’s first instinct is to say something like “because I have to.” Well, why do you have to? “Because I have to go to school.” Why do you have to go to school? “Because my Mom makes me” or “It’s the law.” We could go on, but you get the picture. I encourage you to think through this question, to peel away the flip answers and really think about your motivations in life.

Today, I got an email from our school system announcing a new suicide hotline. Suicide, it said, is the 3rd leading cause of death among students aged 15-19. Seems to me a lot of you are having trouble answering the important question: Why did you get up this morning?

Dr. Leland says your generation struggles with three things:

  • A lack of Hope
  • A lack of Direction
  • A lack of Truth

Such high suicide statistics would seem to back this up. What about you? Do you lack hope? Jesus says He offers life. Do you lack direction? Jesus says He is the Way. Are you searching for truth? Jesus says He IS the Truth.

Take some time soon to skim the book of John. See how the touch of Jesus transforms lives from a blind man to a promiscuous woman to a scholar to a fisherman. . . He loves you and wants to touch your life, too.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11