Wednesday, January 12, 2005

When You Wish Upon a Star

A friend was telling me recently of a vivid memory she has from her childhood in which she was crossing a field near her home. She clearly remembers looking up at a bright star in the night sky and aching to know about God and to know God. She was spurred to ask questions, even at her church, and no one really gave her satisfactory answers. It wasn’t until she was in her thirties that her search ended, her soul’s yearnings quenched, when she came to know God as her Father through giving her life to his Son Jesus.

Her story reminds me of a passage in Isaiah, which says: “Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name.” (Isaiah 40:26) Not only does the Creator of the universe know your name and my name, but He also knows the name of each star. I wonder if one day, when we get to heaven, Jesus will tell my friend the name of the star that called to her heart.

Today’s challenge is to read all of Psalm 19. I’ll get you started with the first verse .... “The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.”