Friday, January 28, 2005

No Greater Love

One morning recently, I awoke before dawn to howling wind and driving rain pelting the window. I knew my husband had left just minutes earlier to drive several hours away for work. Flipping on the radio, I heard news of a tornado sighting 9 miles away. Seemed so odd to me in the dead of winter.

Naturally, sleep wouldn't come as worry pressed in. I didn’t call him. It’s hard enough to drive in such weather without fumbling for a cell phone. And I knew he could have easily avoided all the trouble. You see, he had been in the same town the day before and could have simply stayed for the next day’s business. But he likes to come home when feasible, eat dinner with us, hear about the children’s days. Lead family devotions. Tuck us all in. Even at the price of foul weather, extra hours of driving, and predawn alarms.

I have a small, framed picture on my dresser. Love is inseparable from sacrifice, it says. All I could do was lie there in the dark and pray for my husband’s safety. And I thanked God for this man whose silent sacrifices speak volumes about his love for our family. It reminds me of Jesus, who gave his very life for the ones he loved.

The little picture has a drawing of nails and a crown of thorns. Jesus loved us so much he left the beauty and peace of heaven to come to earth, to spend time with us and teach us about the kingdom of heaven. And he paid a heavy price, essentially a ransom, through his death, nailed to a cross. He could have called down a legion of angels to rescue him, but he didn’t. Love is inseparable from sacrifice. Do you know how much he loves you?


“Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:2