Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Life's Tsunamis

The tsunami coverage has certainly captivated our national conscience. Why do you think that is? I think that every once in a while life throws a curveball that reminds us essentially that our existence on this earth is fragile and that our general assumption that we are in the driver’s seat is merely an illusion. It’s not like these afflicted people were tempting fate. They weren’t racing NASCARS or living under Saddam Hussein’s brutal regime or playing Xtreme sports. They were reading books, nursing babies, walking the beaches.

In May of 2001, I went for a jog. I liked to circle our neighborhood park and run home on a dirt path, just to the side of the street, parallel to the curbing. On that particular day, a young man driving a Honda happened to run off the road, jumping the curb, at just the wrong spot and wrong time. He hit me from behind at about 30 miles per hour and stopped by crashing into some trees.

The car hit my legs first. Passersby also said they could see the imprint of my head in his broken windshield. Then I was thrown a few yards, landing on my back on the pathway. And my jogging shoes, interestingly enough, landed another 30 feet or so farther down the road than my body did. That I survived and survived so well is simply a miracle. It just wasn’t my day to go to the other side. But it was a wakeup call.

No one really knows whether they will have another year, another day or even another breath on this earth. Only God knows the length of days we have. The question is: are you ready? Are you ready to meet Your Maker? If you haven’t made things right with God yet, now would be a good time. Just talk to Him in your heart and give Him your life. Ask Him to show Himself to you and to be your Father and Friend forever.

"Seek the Lord while He may be found; call on Him while He is near.” Isaiah 55:6