Monday, January 03, 2005

Happy New Year 2005

At our traditional New Year's Eve dinner, my husband asked what we were all thankful for during the last year. Our seven-year-old's hand shot up. "For the new friends we made," she said. She was thinking of a girl in her class, who had moved into the area and started at her school in the fall. They had become fast friends immediately. The new girl is half Scandinavian and half Chinese, with her Asian features dominating.

CNN's tsunami coverage included a piece on how the crisis is breaking down barriers. Hindus and Muslims, Buddhists and Christians, are all helping each other, disregarding their customary tensions - at least in this one locale. As our daughter seems to understand intuitively and as the terrible disaster has made abundantly clear, relationships are our real treasures in life. If we overinvest in things, in achievements, in ourselves, we crowd out what is truly important and lose on the scale of eternity. This year, may we resolve to work on our relationships. First, the backbone of them all: our relationship with Jesus. And after that, may we seek to love and care for the others He has placed in our paths.

"If I .... can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing." I Corinthians 13: 2-3